This is me...

This is me...
I'm having a mom moment....

Friday, September 28, 2012

Waiting For Change

Tuesday, I started writing a post about parental responsibility.  It is going to be a great post when I finish it, but as usually happens with me, life interrupted and now I have a different story to tell first.

Tuesday my youngest goes to preschool, and after I picked him up we came home and I got him a snack of yogurt and pretzels while I went all ADD on the house while making my lunch -- started unloading the dishwasher because I needed a plate for my sandwich, then stopped halfway through to get the clothes out of the dryer and put the wet clothes in from the washer, went to throw away the lint from the dryer and grabbed some chips from the pantry, went upstairs to get some more laundry and remembered I was still hungry, went back to the kitchen to make my sandwich only to start unloading the dishwasher again -- you get the idea.  My youngest was sitting at the table eating his snack as I was running around all crazy, when all of a sudden he started coughing and gagging.  I knew that he was "okay" because he was coughing, crying, and breathing, but I still went into mom-panic-mode and scooped him up and slapped his back, and made him drink all in an attempt to wash down the pretzel stuck in his throat.  He was scared and he said that it was still in his throat, I assumed that the pretzel had scratched his throat and just kept making him drink. 

I finally got him calmed down, and my sandwich abandoned, I was cuddling with him on the couch.  I asked him if he was okay as I stroked his hair and kissed his forehead and he looked at me and said:
"Swallowing that penny was scary."
 
Well of course I FREAKED OUT because I thought that he had been choking on a pretzel.   I probably could have gotten it out when he first started choking and gagging, but silly me, I wrongfully assumed that he was choking on the food that I gave him to eat and not some random object he'd found on the table.  I thought that at 4, we were past the point of putting money in our mouths. 

So I called the doctor, who sent us for X-rays to confirm that it was a penny, that it wasn't lodged anywhere, and to determine best course of action based on that information.  The penny was there, and thanks in large part to my pushing fluids after it first happened, it was in his stomach.  We were told to go home and wait and watch for it to pass.  Call if there was any pain or vomiting, or if there was no sign of the penny by Friday.  In case you've never had the pleasure of dealing with a swallowed foreign object, that meant that I got to catch and go through poop until I found a penny.  My life is so glamorous.

Tuesday -- No poop.
Wednesday -- No poop.
Thursday -- Still no poop, so I called the doctor who asked if this was "normal" for him (and I honestly don't know.  I mean, I haven't closely monitored his poop since he's been out of diapers).  In any case, they instructed us to give a laxative and extended the timeline to Saturday.

Finally, this morning, we had a little poop, but no penny.  Conversations with my little piggy bank revealed that swallowing the penny had hurt so much that he was now deathly afraid to poop because he thought it would hurt again.  We had tried in vane to dispel this fear, but the 4 year old was having none of it, until he finally pooped today.  Now he believes us that it isn't going to hurt, but still no penny.

So the downstairs toilet remains wrapped in Saran Wrap to catch the elusive penny and unavailable to everyone but him, and my box of latex gloves is on the counter.  And I will spend my day trying to catch up on housework and asking the 4 year old every 30 minutes or so if he needs to poop so that I can play with it until I find the penny. 

Sigh. 

Just waiting for change.

8 comments:

Brainless Housewife said...

I went thru the same thing a few years ago when my oldest swallowed a dime. I was a hot mess. My Dr. assured me it would come out, just be nervous if two nickels came out...lol! It will come out before you know it! :)

Lillian Connelly said...

This is so funny. The title just cracks me up. I hope you finally found that penny!

Marianne said...

Hang in there! If it makes you feel any better, I swallowed a handful of pennies my grandfather gave me when I was four or five. I was too scared I'd get in trouble for "wasting" them and didn't tell anyone. I turned out fine (more or less).

Counting Caballeros said...

WE HAVE A PENNY!!
Well, had. We chose to flush it rather than attempt to depoopify it. It took 5 days, but when it was over he acted like he'd won the lottery.

Anonymous said...

very good!

lifestooshorttoplaypossum said...

I love reading your blog. My kids have swallowed pennies, dimes..you name it. It IS scary! My kids all survived fine.
New rule..nothing but food near or in your mouth.
and...
I nominated you for a Liebster Award! come on over and pick it up!
http://lifestooshorttoplaypossum.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/sharing-the-wealth-with-a-liebster-award/

Crappy Mama said...

Yay! Glad he finally made a deposit!

Shanti said...

You are an awesome mom! I love reading ur blog. It makes me feel normal. With the things going on in my life I always felt inefficient . Good to know I am just human.