This is me...

This is me...
I'm having a mom moment....

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Let's Just Leave Sexy Alone, Okay?

Things are a little tight financially right now.  Actually, we are BROKE.  This is a temporary situation, caused by medical bills left over from the oldest girl's knee surgery in December.  So when some friends of ours offered to come over, eat dinner with us, hang out for a while last Saturday, and then take all 4 of our kids home with them so that the husband and I could have an evening alone, we jumped at the chance for an inexpensive "date night."

After an enjoyable evening with our friends, we attempted to get all romantic.  The husband poured me a glass of wine, lit candles, and drew me a bubble bath.  I was in heaven.  Before sinking into the bath, I rummaged through my drawers and found a nice, sexy, black, satiny, nightgown and stowed it in the bathroom.  I also had a plan to kick it up a notch -- those shoes.  You remember the shoes, right?  The Leopard print, 5-inch heels that I wore in Chicago?  Well, the husband hadn't seen me wear them and I was going to put them on with that nightgown and strut out of the bathroom after my bath and knock his socks off. 

I had great aspirations of "bringing sexy back."

As someone who seriously ONLY wears yoga pants and t-shirts, this was going to be a big deal.  I rarely wear "real" clothes or make-up and while the husband loves me no matter what, I wanted to get all gussied up for him. 

In the tub, I shaved my legs -- even above the knee, and I used my Mango-Papaya Body Wash.  After my bath, I emerged from the tub, slathered my now smooth legs with lotion, spritzed on some of my perfume and got dressed.  Then I piled my hair up all loose and sexy up on top of my head and put on make-up.  This was a big deal -- we hadn't been alone, without kids, in THIS house, EVER.  I was making the most of this golden opportunity and pulling out all of the stops.

Bathed in candle light, I opened the bathroom door into our bedroom and my husband's eyebrows shot up and he grinned.  I grinned back.  Things were going just as planned.  The house was kid-free, I had relaxed in the tub and primped myself up worthy for a night out on the town, but it was all for my husband in the privacy of our bedroom. 

Then I told him that I had a surprise, and I went to slip on the shoes.  Those, awesome, sexy shoes that would complete the look and give me that edge I wanted for such a rare occasion of having a kid-free house.

And that's when it happened.

My shoes betrayed me.

I slipped on the right shoe, and as I stepped backwards to put on the left, I fell like a sack of potatoes onto the bathroom floor.  Hard. 

And it was in that moment as I sat on the floor of the bathroom with my husband and I both laughing that I decided "sexy" is fine right where it is. 

4 comments:

Kelly O'Sullivan (HILWD) said...

You see, you should listen to me about those damn high heel shoes. ;)

Carin said...

Next time, go bare foot. Seems you got it right, right up until the shoes betrayed you. Punish them, leave 'em in the closet. And sexy is as sexy does, yoga pants or not.

*hug*

Love is all you need said...

Thanks for the laugh, really sweet post.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you could laugh at this. Frankly, I'm thrilled that my husband doesn't care if I wear heels. And I don't care that he's shorter than I am (almost).