This is me...

This is me...
I'm having a mom moment....

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring. Blech.

Sorry that I have not been on here in a while.  I am sick.  There is this yellow film over everything outside and it has made its way up my nose making it hard to breathe, hard to function, hard to even get up in the mornings.  Since I was sick, I decided to go ahead and read The Hunger Games trilogy, and if you haven't read them I highly suggest that you do -- I devoured all 3 books in less than 24 hours.  Of course, I haven't felt up to anything else, so lying still and reading was about all I could manage.  But I went to the doctor Tuesday, so I'm feeling....medicated. That's the best I can say, really. I don't really feel better yet.

I know that everyone loves Spring, but as we have established through previous posts, I am not always like everyone else.  I am not a fan of Spring.  The obvious reason is this raging sinus infection brought on by all of the pollen in the air.  Everything gets coated in yellow and I sneeze and I cough and I feel drunk and hungover at the same time.  But that is not the only reason.  I am a "big" girl and I hate to be hot.  Here in Texas, Spring means "Hot" weather (whereas in the Summer, we move into "Hell-like" temperatures).  Hotter weather means clothes that show more skin, fit closer, basically everything my typical wardrobe is not.  I am much more comfortable in clothes that are baggy and stretchy and cover my multitude of flaws.  Spring means showing more of my imperfections, and let's face it, I have enough imperfections without even addressing the ones hiding under my yoga pants and sweatshirts. 

And then there is the worst thing about Spring -- swimsuit shopping.

I have been working on my weight, and things are still progressing well.  I was thinking that in a month or two, I might have my weight down to a point that I could consider starting that horrible process where I shave my legs above the knee and go bravely into a store dressing room with it's harsh florescent lighting and try on a few swimsuits.  I  doubted that I would look good or anything, but I thought maybe I could get an idea of what is out there and what I want for the Summer, and that just maybe I could make it through the process without curling up into a ball on the dressing room floor and sobbing about what the mirror told me. 

But that idea was wrong.  I went to Kohl's last weekend to get somethings for my kids and I decided to take a precursory stroll through the women's swimsuit section as a way to re-motivate myself.  This was a mistake.

What I discovered was that the swimsuits have been out since the beginning of February.  Now there was very little left.  There were some bikinis -- which will NEVER happen since I am not big on wearing something that covers less than my underwear in public -- and some, what can only be described as "Grandma Suits."  Not a suit that I would wear anywhere.  So I asked someone there if they would be getting in more stock and she replied "Swimwear is usually debuted in late January or early February, so smart shoppers have already purchased their Summer looks." 

Ooooooh....so I am dumb as well as hefty.  Great self-esteem boost from that little chat, thanks. 

Why do retailers do this?  Why do I need a suit in February??!  Unless I am jetting off to some tropical destination or going on a cruise, I couldn't possibly need a swimsuit before late April -- even here in Texas.  And I doubt that the majority of the US populous is going on all these vacations.  I don't plan my "Summer Look" -- like most everything else in my life, my "Look" (regardless of the season) just sort of happens.  It's not just women's clothes -- All the kid's Summer clothes have been out for months.  My kids could possibly grow another size or 2 by Summer.  Am I all the only one who is annoyed by this?  I tend to come up on an event or even a season with an "Oh crap -- I HAVE to go to the store and find something for THIS weekend." Or tomorrow.  Or later today.  I hate shopping for clothes.  The fashion industry is completely messed up to me -- it's like a completely different language.  Apparently, I will always be behind.

And all this means that in July or August, when I need a "Summery" outfit, they will have wool pants, bulky sweaters and boots in the stores.  Blech.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Besides all the good suits being gone when you really start to think of needing one, I've always thought there should be certain hours for groups of ages....Mine could be early since I don't have to get kids off to school, and there won't be any teenagers with perfect bodies around...

Les @ LPN Salary said...

3 books in 24 hours. Wow. Hope you get well soon!

Jeff Laws said...

Last year we did swimsuit shopping for my daughter in June and the fall clothes were out. This year we went early and grabbed some. Mainly because she had a trip to an indoor water park with Girl Scouts, otherwise I would have been searching again in June.

Anonymous said...

wow i can only read one in 2 days lol
text for free
http://textme4free.com/